My husband commented that he detected a qualitative difference to my playing, that I sounded like I had made a “jump” in improvement….My left hammer is so much more in control, and my dulcimer sounds better. —hammered dulcimer player Nena-Joy Almodovar, New Mexico
I learned a lot of very fundamental things from Lucille Reilly without which I do not believe I would be able to progress…She is a dedicated dynamo about her music and I saw that spirit come out in so many helpful ways to a great number of people….I look forward to studying with her again. —autoharpist Bobbie Haas, Pennsylvania
Private lessons offer the best of everything: personalized instruction tailored to your needs, with time in between (at one-week intervals preferred) to practice and master concepts as your repertoire develops. Lessons go deeper than right notes; I also observe playing habits to ensure sound, healthy hammering or picking that maximizes on resonance.
See some more comments from some of my private students here.
Whether you live in or near metro Denver or halfway around the world, a number of private-lesson options are available for most levels of players:
- Weekly lessons for those living within driving distance of metro Denver, for the brand new player and up: Continuous weekly study is the most effective way to master your chosen instrument. Weekly lessons are 45 minutes, and I recommend 4 to start.
- The occasional 90-minute lesson: For those living a distance, visiting the area, or local folks who are short on time due to work or family commitments. (Dulcimer players coming from out of town may bring their hammers and take a lesson on one of my dulcimers. I have adjustable stands, too.)
- Loaner lessons, available only to dulcimer and autoharp wannabes who live nearby.
- While I am in your area teaching a workshop for your local club, as time allows..
- “B&B” lessons: A retreat kind of experience where you focus on mastery of your instrument for 5 days. For all playing levels except novice. Great for those living a distance, but hey, if you’re a local player in need a respite, why not? Click here for more.
Comments from Private Students
I don’t think I could have gotten this kind of thoroughness from anyone else…I feel like I am really on the path now to doing what I wanted to accomplish…THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. —autoharpist Linda Strauser, Iowa
Thanks to Lucille I am very happy with the sound she has opened up to me. I feel as though I am now starting to get to the way I want to play. —autoharpist and Skype student Ken Sluce, Australia
I am thrilled and absolutely certain that winning the Mountain Laurel Autoharp Championship…could not have happened without Lucille’s coaching session….I look forward to continuing along the path she showed me and hopefully continue to improve as a player. —Rick Fitzgerald, 2009 Mountain Laurel Autoharp Champion, Wisconsin
Leave a Reply